Friday, 3 February 2012

Baby Seals, Mince Pies, Pheasants and Guiness

Ah, where to start. The last few days in Aberdeen have been full of some great times with great people. I said goodbye last time as I was heading out to row on the River Dee, and it sounds like a good place to start as well.

First of all, let me just tell you how nice docks are. They are so dry, so warm! They may sometimes be covered with goose poop, but they really are beautiful things. Sadly, Aberdeen University Boat Club (AUBC) lacks docks. This means wet launching boats, in north eastern Scotland, in the middle of winter. I have a much greater appreciation for the luxuries of home, and have a new found concept of rowing cold. After an extremely painful launching, we get on the water, it feels great. The shoulder is a little sore but the salty sea air and the giant seagoing ships surrounding us quickly take my mind away from anything but the rhythmic sweep of our oars. We get off, debrief and I head back to Will's for dinner and a movie.  I am a little skeptical about training full time with AUBC as most races are on weekends and I would like to be travelling on most but I think once I'm settled and know a bit of routine I will be able to make a more informed decision.  In the meantime, the gym is INCREDIBLE! A new multi million dollar sports village with 5 oly. lifting platforms, foam rollers galore, brand new ergs, and free yoga classes. I think I will like it here!

Anyways, on to the epics of yesterday! Morning was nothing out of the ordinary, except there was some sun! Kendra and I had an Art History class. Bit ridiculous isn't it, George Payne in an art history course? But that's what exchange is for! New things, and this new thing turned out to be great! We discussed Gothic cathedrals, specifically, St. Machars which I pass by every morning on the way to campus! Knowing the history and importance of things really makes you appreciate seeing it so much more. I think this class will be a definite success.  As it was a beautiful sunny day we decided to get the exchangers together to go to the beach! But only after I fixed my phone, and attended my coastal ecology class, which was quite interesting, filled with more local knowledge, and the prof and I went and got a mince pie (DELICIOUS) after class! My courses are looking great, not to mention, I have all of today off.

After a mince pie Dave, Devin, Ainslee and I met with the exchangers at the newly meaningful St. Machars cathedral, and set off to the beach. With the sun low in the sky, no clouds, and a low tide, it was quite a beautiful site.  I apologize for the lack of pictures so far! I left my camera back at St. Andrews but will get it soon and will share pictures when I can. Check out http://animus-hospes.blogspot.com/ for some pics of the beach! As we wandered down the beach, collecting sea shells, crab claws, and sea glass (note to self, sea collectibles smell bad in pockets) a couple of women approached us, in quite a fluster. They needed our help carrying an injured seal to a pick up spot for the SPCA! Obviously, we obliged, and Tucker, Dave and I carried a dog kennel with a rowdy seal in it up to the road above the beach. How often are you going to save a seal on the coast of Scotland? We all smiled at our good fortune and snapped pictures. Tucker and I headed to the wonder gym, we had a great family dinner with the Americans, planned a trip to Dunnottar Castle and Tucker and I went and had a drink with Rachel, her roommates and a load of Spaniards. We headed to the Bobbin (student pub) with a Finlandian, Hannes, had a Guiness, and called it a night after visiting the neighbours upstairs.

This morning the sun is shining, and I have no class, what will another beautiful day in Aberdeen bring? Love from Scotland to everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment